Monday, May 19, 2014

A little rain never hurt anyone

As a child, I spent a lot of time outside. I was fortunate enough to grow up with a group of kids my age and summers would be spent playing manhunt in the woods, walking through the cemetery, and sitting outside listening to the sounds of nature for hours. Looking back, I haven't enjoyed being outside since I was that young. So, today I took a walk and rediscovered the beauty in nature.

I sat in a bright green field that smelled like summer and fresh cut grass. The air swished around me, while the grass below me swayed along, moving with the wind. The sky above me was blue with the sunshine reigning down, keeping me warm despite the breeze. White and grey clouds littered the sky and hid the sun's warmth from me momentarily. The wind echoed around me, as if trying just to be noticed by sound as well as touch. Birds chirped along as they flew around, enjoying the spring day and their wings, gliding them across the field. The trees in the woods danced in the wind, their leaves trying to break free of the branches. The wind picked up and grew violent as the sun disappeared behind dark, rolling clouds. The trees were no longer dancing, they were holding on to their roots while the wind raced. As I began running home, a bolt of light flashed in the sky, followed by a roar from the heavens. Rain drops fell to the ground gently, at first. As I reached my house, the sky opened up and the droplets started falling sideways, crashing to the Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment