Thursday, May 15, 2014

Travel writing tips

So, I am starting a new segment called "Travel Writing Tips."

I am currently reading Travel Writing: See the world. Sell the story by L. Peat O'Neil. I am only about a chapter in but if you are considering diving into the world of travel writing, I suggest you get this book.

For the next week, I will be giving you my top 3-5 tips from O'Neil every night.

Tonight's tips!

1. Study other travel articles.
This should be a no brainer. In order to be able to successfully start writing about travel, you need to see how it's done. The many different types of travel articles, books, and journals available are almost overwhelming. The good thing is that you have many options. So, just start reading whatever you can get your hands on.

2. Hook your readers.
Once again, obvious. O'Neil was talking about Destination writing specifically but I think the concept applies across the board. If you cannot hook your reader, you don't have readers. There has to be something that interests your reader from the very beginning.

3. If you're not an expert-take the novice approach.
As a writer, I rarely like to talk about things I know nothing about. Rather, I would like to seem like I know what I am talking about. So, for me, this is valuable advice. It's okay not to know everything, and I think embracing that with travel is a good idea. When you can admit you're not an expert, it makes it more honest and relatable for your audience. You and your readers can go from novice to pro together, like a journey.

4. Humor pieces should be checked by a neutral person to make sure nothing come across as offensive.
There is one thing I am certain of in my life, and that is I think I am way funnier than I actually am. I have a very specific sense of humor that not everybody gets. For me, this is vital information for any type of blogger. Humor can work to the benefit of the writer, if it is done properly. You have to be careful when taking the funny route in order not to offend anyone who will be reading your writing.

I hope you have enjoyed this segment of Travel Writing Tips. I will be back this weekend with some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment