Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Laying the foundation

For my first post, I am reading material on travel writing, and finding quotes that speak to me. I am then responding to them and explaining why I think they are important for a traveler, both novice and pro. The readings are:
"The Global Imaginary of Contemporary Travel Writing" (Debbie Lisle)
"The Politics of Travel" (David Nicholson-Lord
and "Why We Travel" (Pico Iyer)

"What was so strange about wearing about wearing bunches of garlic around your neck? Perhaps nothing, except that he would not have done it if he were not a Mexican, and I would not have noticed it if I hadn't been an American." 
- Paul Theroux

Admittedly, this is an odd quote to start with. Let me explain. This is one of the last ones I chose. I had to come back to this reading in order to let the ideas sink in a bit before trying to articulate any thoughts or reflections on what I read. That being said, I think this is an important line to read as a perspective traveler. Paul Theroux saw this farmer in Mexico, wearing bunches of garlic, because that is how he transports his garlic. Theroux's reaction is important in that it teaches us how not to think and how not to act. In different countries, the customs and social norms are going to be quite different than they are in the United States. That is okay. In Theroux's eyes, it made him superior, but that really isn't the case. When looking at another country, you can't put yourself above them and then try to visit them, you need to acknowledge that the way in which things are done is different, not better or worse. When you put yourself on that pedestal, you aren't enriching your life in any way and you are taking away from the culture of the country you are going to. It is important to show respect to the people of wherever you are traveling.

"To claim that travelogues are 'just books' is to ignore their participation in wider discursive structures, and the material effects that are produced within those structures."
-Debbie Lisle

Before this article, I thought of travelogues as 'just books.' I would never critically look at one to see whether the author was speaking with a colonial tone, like Theroux, or a cosmopolitan one, like Bryson. I most certainly never thought about what kind of angle I may accidentally use when writing about my own travels. This serves as a solid foundation for some of the acceptable things to say and the unacceptable. As an amateur travel writer, there is a lot to think about it in the sense of how my work will fit into a dialogue about Ireland and the people, culture, and traditions. I also think it is exciting to work to add meaningful and positive contributions to the discourse of traveling. I think realizing that such a discourse exists is both exciting and inspiring moving forward. It shows that there is a community of people participating in this conversation as well. It keeps me from typing on a computer wondering who, if anyone, is on the other end, intrigued by my travels.

"The world is a book; he who stays at home reads only one page."
-St. Augustine

This is not a quote I have come across before. However, I am a fan of it. Any time someone makes a metaphor relating to literature and books, I can't help but to smile. If you step back and think about it, it makes perfect sense. The world is like a book. There is something new on each page; new ideas, new information that adds to the story. The world can be thought of in that fashion. Every country has something unique to offer. If a person stays in the comfort of their home for their entire life, they miss out on an amazing story. I think the story is the beauty and appeal of traveling. The idea of a story drives the traveler. When you go to a new country, you hear stories about that country or the culture of the people, and most of the time they aren't stories you would hear if you weren't there in person. Also, think about the stories that travelers have to tell of their adventures is a new place. These stories have literally filled books upon books. In that respect, the book metaphor makes perfect sense. Life revolves around stories and when you see the world, it only enhances your story.

"In Hawaii and Barbados, it was found that each tourist used between six and ten times as much water and electricity as a local."
-David Nicholson-Lord

I shouldn't be surprised by this statement. IF you really think about it, this makes perfect sense. But, it is a little unsettling. To me, this speaks to a bigger problem that is going to get a little ironic as I am blogging about it. I think what this statistic shows is an unhealthy dependence on electronics-if I ignore the water half completely. However, I know people who are really good at wasting water, but I digress. Six to ten times. That's big. And for what? A smartphone, a laptop, a kindle, a hairdryer, a curling iron, a straightener, etc. Are any of those things necessary for a vacation? My tendency is to say no but I know I will bring my phone and kindle with me to Ireland. I just think this should be more of a wake up call to people. Maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea to go unplugged while traveling. I would bet money that you would enjoy your travels a lot more and it would just make it a lot easier to experience life as the locals do. Isn't that the point anyway? I can't wait to dive into a new culture and hopefully do my best to adapt to a world where I'm not constantly checking Facebook or Twitter (which is very hard for me).

"If a diploma can famously be a passport (to a journey through hard realism), a passport can be a diploma (for a crash course in cultural relativism)."
- Pico Iyer

Honestly, I just think this is a fun idea. I read this and I smiled. I wish I was clever enough to think in such ways. While the quote as a whole has such a valuable meaning, my main focus is the second half of the quote. This sentence just speaks volumes to me, both as a student and aspiring traveler. I have always wanted to travel to as many countries as possible (I have a very long list going!), and I think there are countless things to learn along the way. There are only so many things you can learn from reading books, articles, journals, or watching movies and videos about different countries. Nothing will ever compare to actually stepping foot in a country and learning about the cultures and people from an active, first person perspective. When you are removed from the equation as an active participant, you lose a lot of the richness and personable experiences. In a way, it makes it a dull learning experience when you're going through mediums and not just diving right into the country. I think it is important to be willing and able to learn from the people of a county rather than just stories that have no personal connection to you.

"For if every true love affair can feel like a journey to a foreign country, where you can't quite speak the language, and you don't know where you're going, and you're pulled ever deeper into the inviting darkness, every trip to a foreign country can be a love affair..."
- Pico Iyer

I will tell you a secret. My biggest fear about going to Ireland is that I am not going to come back. And I don't mean I'm afraid my trip will turn into Taken, I'm afraid I am not going to want to leave. I am already in love with Ireland, without ever having been there. A lot of my family has traveled there, including my mother. I have heard an endless amount of stories about how beautiful it is and how wonderful the people are. What if I fall in love? I am quite prepared to have a love affair with Ireland. I just hope this affair doesn't blossom into a relationship because I won't be able to handle the break-up. I think describing traveling as a love affair is accurate and poetic. There are so many things to experience that are 'new' and obviously there is going to be so much excitement. These two elements are romantic in a sense. When something is new and exciting, we become infatuated with it and we never want to give this thing up because we are in love, for lack of a better term. We want to constantly surround ourselves with the excitement and nothing could possibly feel better than this 'exotic' country that we have never had the pleasure of experiencing. Because of this, I think it would be easy to get caught up in all the glamour, which can lead to Brigid never wanting to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment