Sunday, June 1, 2014

The animals of Sneem

Since arriving in Sneem, I have come across my fair share of animals. From Red, the hotel dog, to the bunny I fell in love with at Blueberry Hills farm, there has been an animal interaction every single day.

It's quite different from seeing animals in the United States. Usually, if you come across a dog, it is attached to a leash or a stray. In Sneem, the dogs are as free as the people, going into town with their owners and waiting patiently outside the market, or following us around town to get us to play with them. The animals are full of energy and if I'm being completely honest, I want to take one home with me.

So, I thought I would share with you guys the animals I have met so far.
I met this little guy on my very first day in Sneem. We were walking around the town and found him in somebody's front yard. He was very eager to get his picture taken and I fell in love with that face. 

Meet Red, everybody! He is basically the hotel mascot and has been basking in the sun the past two days. Red is very friendly but be careful not to interrupt his sun bathing, or he will get sassy (Ask Juliette!)
Photo credit: Elspeth Peterson
While this is a SUPER FLATTERING picture of me, it captures my excitement perfectly. This bunny is the cutest rabbit ever. It is a baby and lives at Blueberry Hills Farm in Sneem with a colony of rabbits along with many other animals.
This is the owl, Marley. He also lives at Blueberry Hills. When he soars over the farm, it is breathtaking and he always comes back down to the posts. He was swooping and soaring, as if he was trying to avoid getting his picture taken.

Another roaming dog from the town of Sneem. This girl followed us down by the church, running in front of us to lead us to a small pond type body of water. From there, she grabbed a stick from the water and started playing catch with us! (Elspeth had the best throw) 




I wish that animals could be freer over here like they are in Sneem. It is so refreshing to come across animals walking down the street, free of leashes, interacting with the people in the town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment