Sunday, June 1, 2014

Taking time to smell the roses.

Yesterday was our first official day in Sneem, which allowed us to go out and explore what the town has to offer. A group of us decided to walk through the more natural sites in the town over the shopping.

My favorite place that we visited was called the Garden of the Senses. Upon walking in you are greeted with the lovely sign:

It was a beautiful place to walk around and sit and think, and I was inspired by the sign encouraging me to enjoy the scenery. So, after snapping a few pictures, I sat in a tunnel made of trees and reflected on the sheer beauty surrounding me, not only in this garden, but in all of Ireland.


The entire garden was tranquil. While walking on the path made by pebbles, you can hear the rocks getting trampled by the shoes of the intruders. Flowers and branches sway in the wind, which was making sure to brush the hair away from my face so I could take in all the natural beauty. Over head, birds are singing while flying from tree to tree. The leaves begin to rustle, obeying the dancing winds.  The trees help to shelter walkers from the sun. A bench stands below a canopy of green, right beside the entrance to the tunnel.
Inside the tunnel sits chairs made from the trunks of trees past. Wanderers are welcomed to sit among the greenery while the birds continue their song from above. The wind slowly creeps into the canopy, greeting us with a cool touch. It is tranquility. It was perfect to stop and smell the metaphorical roses (or in this case, trees!) I think this is important because back home, I am constantly on the go and absorb in my phone or other distraction so it has been nice to be without a phone with a data plan. It has shown me that when I return home I need to shut off the wires and enjoy my surroundings.

*Reflection


No comments:

Post a Comment